Sunday, June 10, 2012

Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy... poor little Madelyn has it, and not just a tiny bit either. I think the kid rolled in the stuff or something. She is seriously covered head to toe in it. The blisters appeared yesterday, which was when we first realized she even had it. I wasn't home at the time, but Addam was. He texted me telling me she had it on her legs, stomach, arms, hands, neck, ears, and face... see I told you I think she rolled in it! I was mortified by hearing this, since I am extremely allergic to it. The last time I had it, it ended up in my eyes and throat and sent me to the hospital.

Here I was, enjoying a nice day with my mom at her house watching all the pre-races for the Belmont Stakes on tv and my lovely day was ruined by a stupid plant. On the way back home, I seriously spent $125 in cleaning supplies. I couldn't believe my eyes either, when I opened the front door, there was Madelyn sprawled out on the couch with no towel or blanket under her. "GET UP GET UP GET UP!!!" Geez kid! Are you trying to give everyone in the entire house poison ivy?

Maybe I over reacted a little, but still... I just don't want it! I spent 4 hours cleaning and bleaching EVERYTHING. Addam took her to the doctor a few hours before I got home and they gave her a shot to help dry up to blisters so hopefully in the next few days it'll get a little better.

She is driving me insane though! She is limited to her bed and a spot on the couch that is covered in a blanket and I'm making her wear long socks, long pants, a long sleeve shirt, and rubber gloves until we get this thing under control. Ya I know I'm being way to overly cautious but I'd rather know we have everything cleaned of the oils from the poison ivy. She is not a happy camper though! Normally she'd kill to stay in the house all day watching tv, but now knowing that she has no choice, she is going stir crazy and driving me crazy at that.

Seriously though, my stress level is so high right now! I feel like I have to follow her EVERYWHERE because if I don't watch her constantly, she's off rubbing her body all over something in the house. I swear I keep a roll of paper towels and bleach with me at all times. lol.

So here's a question for you all: What's your experience with poison ivy been like? Did it get all in your house? How did you clean your house?


  1. Poor thing! I hope she heals quickly! I've had it. I used benadryl and calamine lotion. It didn't spread to anyone else. Some people are super sensitive to it, and others aren't. My grandfather could roll around in it and would burn it with no reaction, and yet my grandmother could step outside while it was burning and it would get in her lungs and on her body. It's the oil in the blisters which spread it. Don't let her get too hot in all that clothing or she'll want to scratch, which will spread it, causing more blisters.

  2. Hi Taylor! I'm a new follower and fellow Navy Wife! I hope Madelyn gets better soon! My dad gets poison ivy really bad too. If he even breathes it he gets it every where. Not fun AT ALL. I wish I had some tips for you, but I'm a bit clueless. I hope you find some good answers!

  3. Hi Taylor!

    I had a question for you about possibly collaborating on something (with Cowgirl & the Sailor) and was hoping you could email me back to discuss? Thanks so much!

    - Emma

    emmabanks9 (at) gmail (dot) com